Sunday, March 16, 2008

Tribute by Dave Grammon

Memories from David…God’s Word was important to Dad. Some have shared about Dad’s quest for learning God’s Word and wanting to be equipped in teaching. I think the only thing that was more of a passion than learning scripture was to teach it to others. I remember going with Dad on several occasions to teach people the gospel using the Jules Miller filmstrips. I watched those filmstrips so many times that, I think I had them almost memorized by the time I was 13.

One of the most memorable times was when we shared the filmstrip series in Northwest Portland. Some of those that responded to the gospel then, are in the ministry today. That continued to be a passion later on in his life…even after Altzeimers had progressed to the point of being unable to put words twith his thoughts.

Mom tells of one evening watching a television program together, when he sat up and clearly asked her about the amount of money they had in savings. He wanted to take it and purchase Bibles to be sent to missions because, “people needed the Lord.” What a tremendous testimony of what was still on his heart and mind, even to the end.I was able to spend time in reading scripture to Dad over the last two months. I count that time as precious. He especially loved to hear about God’s promise for eternal life.

I close with these well known verses:For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. And this is what God has testified: He has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have God’s Son does not have life. I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life. Stay with what you heard from the beginning, the original message. Let it sink into your life. If what you heard from the beginning lives deeply in you, you will live deeply in both the Son and the Father. This is exactly what Christ promised: eternal life, real life! (John 3:16; 17:3; I John 2:24, 25; 5:11f)

Dave Grammon
Mar. 4, 2008

No comments: